Wednesday, April 10, 2013

wrestlemania 29 wrap up

Wrestling is a special kind of sport amongst my group of friends... or at least to a handful of them, who just happen to be my closest friends.
My best friend D says it's their equivalent of a soap opera (which makes total sense right?) aka "man drama". The perfect combination of fighting + acting + sport + scantily clad women = an entertaining show, right?

Every year for all the major events / pay-per-views, a bunch of us get together to eat, drink & be merry... and to watch the excitement unfold and I have to admit, I've become sort of a fan myself.
It was hard not to be sucked into it when you are constantly trying to figure out what everyone is going on about or who they are talking about and why they were deemed worth of an hour-long drunken debates (yes, this really happens)

This year was particularly special as two of the main wrestling fans in our group flew all the way to the U.S of A to watch Wrestlemania live in New York / New Jersey. ]
It was pretty much their life-long dream together and it was awesome seeing them on TV.
The rest of us had to get up at 6am AWST to watch it live while it was going on at night time over in America, which still didn't stop my boyfriend from getting onto the rum before we even had breakfast... now that's commitment to a sport. Baha.

Wrestlemania 29 Promo Poster

My Play-By-Play

  • Pre-Show: the Miz defeated Wade Barrett even though he is a mega-douche
  • The Shield defeated Sheamus, Randy Orton & Bigshow because the Shield are totally badass! Seth Rollins has absolutely no fear & just goes with his instincts which makes for extremely entertaining wrestling (aka Seth launching himself full speed out of the ring)
  • Mark Henry defeated Ryback even though Ryback impressed/scared the hell out everyone (especially Mark Henry) by lifting his 187kg ass over his head! I'm not a fan of Ryback, his face creeps me out, but he definitely deserved to win.
  • Team Hell No (Daniel Bryan & Kane) beat Dolph Ziggler & Big.E Langston which made me sad because I like when Dolph wins so AJ is happy but Team Hell No put on a hell of a match, the best in a long time - so I can't even hold it against them.
  • Fandango beat Chris Jericho in his debut at Wrestlemania. I don't even know how I feel about this, but his entrance made me want to burn things, and not in a good way.
  • Alberto Del Rio defeated Jack Swagger which is unsurprising - even heels have to know they limit their chances of winning after pulling the immigration card. 
  • The Undertaker defeated CM Punk which caused much controversy among fans. Both had a title streak to keep in place but Undertaker managers to hold on to his 21-0 Wrestlemania streak. Punk's chip on his shoulder was no match for Taker's fire in his belly fuelled by Punk's disrespect to his recently deceased long-time manager Paul Bearer. This made it a personal & epic match and I can say is, I can't wait for the rematch! Poor CM, guess sometime's it hard being "The Best In The World"
  •  Triple H defeated Brock Lesnar which I was so happy with, it felt like it could have gone either way the entire time, though Bork Laser freaks me out, he reminds me of Foul Phil from Garbage Pail Kids. 
  • John Cena defeated the Rock, another controversial match which allows Rock to leave WWE for however long he feels like it so he can play with his millions, take a holiday, shoot some movies, do some cooking, whatever Rock likes to do and return at some point for another show down. Cena's win also cemented his status as a self-righteous mega-douche. "Rise Above Cena" - can I get that on a shirt?!

AJ Lee at the MetLife Stadium


Anyone who is thinking "oh wrestling is so fake, lame or whatever" - I agree with you!
It's not UFC, it is fake, it is set up but it's also a hell of a lot of fun.
I did an performance class at University once which taught us out to stage fight, let me tell you it isn't easy! 
So give mad props to all the pro wrestlers who know how to put on a convincing show
People tend to take it too seriously when all it is is quality entertainment.
Also, I have developed a mad fangirl crush on AJ Lee... so there really is no turning back for me now. 

Check out this awesome IGN interview with AJ Lee to get a better understanding of why I heart her so much: LINK





No comments:

Post a Comment