Tuesday, April 30, 2013

end of the month book club

So, I may or may not have blogged about how I wanted to join some book clubs!?
Online book clubs that is. I clicked on some groups on facebook, sent out a few emails and... NADA
Apparently no one wants to include a little old reignited book worm from Perth in their book-reading adventures... so I say screw it. I will make my own.

Not super literally, I will just read whatever I want, so since I only started reading again (I got two in (hey - not bad) lol

Here we go.




We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver

Can I just say... wow. What an emotional ride. It made me not want to have kids (not really but kinda) but it was just so powerful and moving. The main protagonist, Eva, retells the story of her life, marriage and family through letters to her husband, Franklin. This may not sound very exceptional except throughout these letters she reveals an honest and emotionally charged account of her struggles with her first-born child, Kevin and her seemingly lack of mothering instincts and emotions. Oh, did I mention that Kevin is a socialpath and is responsible for a high school massacre? Don't worry, that isn't a spoiler, it's even on the blurb :)
Her letters deal with life after the massacre, visits to Kevin at his prison and her life leading up to "Thursday" and the tatters of her life which remain after.

I loved it. It took me a long time to read, sometimes I would literally read to myself out loud in order to grasp the structure and sentences better, they are a tinsy-bit too descriptive for my liking but they wonderfully written. I haven't seen the movie yet but it is on my to do list!

Lucky - Alice Sebold

It seem's like I've had a depressing few weeks since the next book I picked up was a memoir based around the rape of Alice Sebold (author of The Lovely Bones) when she was in college and her fight to bring her assailant to justice. I enjoy Sebold's writing, I really loved the Lovely Bones and just like this one, I read it in one sitting. It is such an honest account of such a horrific situation and her struggle and strength going forward with her life and battling the mind field of relationships afterwards is truly remarkable. They say when big events happen, it's like putting a bookmark in your life that splits it into "Before" and "After" and I think this book really proves that theory. It didn't make it onto my favourite's list but it's still worth a read. If only to have an honest look into the mind of someone who has overcome their darkest days and made it out alive.

That's it for now. I have a few more ripe and ready to get into for May.

Is anyone out there doing some reading as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment