Saturday, April 20, 2013

post secret adventures

So last night was a night I'd been looking forward to for a number of months. After years of staring longingly at all the US and Uk tour dates, Frank Warren finally hit the shores of Western Australia.

the view of the stage from my seat


If you don't know who Frank Warren is, he is the creator of Post Secret, a global art project where strangers anonymously send their secrets/confessions on postcards with the chance of them getting published on the website every Sunday or in one of the many books.

the tickets
I bought a ticket for my boyfriend and I and I did really enjoy his presentation. It was hard for me (being a long time fan) since quite a few stories he spun, I had heard before. They were all still very enjoyable, I was just a tad disappointed by the lack of unseen content. I think I expected one of the awesome videos they put together sometimes.

Perth's Astor Theatre, venue for Post Secret

It did feel very short. Time flew by... But as my boyfriend pointed out, he probably did that on purpose so he'd have more time to meet and greet his fans.

I said before, I'm a long time fan and I am only missing one of the books. I had it in my head that I would buy my last missing book there and get it signed. Instead they only had the first two books available.
I was told that was because of the Australian distribution. However, I wasn't missing out on a book signing, so I bought a second copy just so I could line up to meet Frank after the show
.
my collection of Post Secret books

The lady in front of me was gorgeous and carried two of the early editions (which I have at home) and I watched as she chatted openly, calmly to Frank. He signed both her books and asked her what her favourite part of the evening was. I heard her say "how long she'd been waiting to see the show" and all I could think was "damn, that's my line. I've been waiting 5 years"

When I got to the table, he smiled signed and stamped my book and I knew I should have just left but instead I just blabbered on about how I'd watched the tour go all over America and how i was so broke at the time but i bought tickets cause I couldn't bear to miss the show and he sat there genuinely listening to me. I told him to enjoy Australia. At his end of the line on his tour *facepalm*
I may as well have told him to enjoy Perth airport.

my copy of "My Secret" signed & stamped by Frank

I got to that table and felt like a babbling, frumpy fan who just picked up her first secret book on her way in. I had found the audience confessions awkward. I've decided I find it easier to relate to the anonymous stranger than to the hipster standing at a microphone announcing their issues. Either way, I love Post Secret. I've recommended it to all my friends.
When Frank comes back, I'll probably still come back to see the show.

Check out postsecret.com and hit up Amazon for the books

postsecret.com












No comments:

Post a Comment